Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Don't ask the question if you can't handle the answer

As a pastor, I've always believed that knowledge is power. I want to know what's going on in the church. At least the big stuff. It helps me prepare for situations and not be blindsided by them

A recent phenomenon I've had to deal with is getting information I need but blows my mind when I get it. Last week I asked our Wednesday-night adult class to rate their preparation for Bible class on a scale of one to five-- One being, "I did my homwework. Sit down preacher an' let me take over;" five being, "Has anyone seen my Bible?" SEVENTY -FIVE PERCENT of my students reported no advance planning for class. I've walked around with a harpoon sticking out of my side all week from one!

Alas, don't ask the question if you can't handle the answer.

Sometimes I'll ask a Christian brother or sister to describe the goings-on in some church committee meeting. Invariably, he or she comes around to saying something like, "Oh, by the way, we also discussed your (fill in the blank) work. I just thought you would like to know so you can think about what to do." On the one hand, I'm grateful for the insider information. On the other hand, many of these communications cause me to sit upright out of a sound sleep in the middle of the night and question others' love for me or my own sense of adequacy.

I'm torn. Not to ask is to remain in the dark about serious ministry that affects me. But I have difficulty handling the answer. Lord, help me to think the best of others and to regain my objectivity.

No comments: